
Port Lockroy
(Wiencke Island)
British Antarctic Territory
Location: 64° 49' 23" S 63° 29' 2" W
bay between Damoy Point and Lécuyer Point, W Wiencke Island, Palmer Archipelago, was charted by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903-05, on 20 February 1904 and named Port-Lockroy after Etienne-Auguste-Édouard Lockroy (1840-1913), French politician who helped to finance the French Antarctic Expedition. The bay was recharted by Discovery Investigations in 1927. The bay was used as a base for flying operations by Wilkins, 18-19 December 1929. The Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey station, called 'Base A' or 'Port Lockroy', was established on Goudier Island (q.v.) in the bay, 16 February 1944, and the bay was further surveyed, 1944-45. The Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey station was evacuated, 16 January 1962, having been continuously occupied except for the periods 8 April 1947-23 January 1948, 14 February 1949-24 January 1950, and 11 February 1951-15 December 1951.