
Arthur Harbour
(Anvers Island)
British Antarctic Territory
Location: 64° 46' 12" S 64° 3' 50" W
between Bonaparte Point and Norsel Point, Anvers Island, was first entered by Norsel on the Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey charter, 28 February 1955, when the station called 'Base N' or 'Anvers Island' was established near the head of the harbour; charted by the Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey in 1955 and named after Sir (Oswald) Raynor Arthur (1905-73), Governor and Commander-in-Chief of the Falkland Islands and Dependencies, 1954-57. The Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey station was closed down on 10 January 1958. In February 1964 a party from USCGC Eastwind erected a temporary hut on the E side of the harbour, and later in the year 'Palmer Station' was built and inaugurated on 12 January 1965, with the British station converted to the biological laboratory of this station. The former British station was destroyed by fire, 28 December 1971.